This is coming a day late because I was away from my computer for the weekend, but yesterday, Jan 16th I went on one of the best runs that I have ever done. To start it off I was visiting my girlfriend up in Dayton for the weekend! While we were there we got to meet up with 3 friends to get out long run for the week in! (16 miles for me). The first thing I like to tell everyone about these three friends is that they have all qualified for the Olympic Trials in the Marathon!!! So I love to run with them whenever I get the chance!
During the run I realized something though. Around mile 13 or so we were all chatting about running of course and it hit me... I don't love running with them because they are Olympic Trials Qualifiers, I feel privileged to run with them because they are great people. And that is the same reason that they motivate me! Right before I was dropping them off at their 14 mile stopping point we were talking about my college times and my hopes of qualifying in the marathon like each of them had/have. Their comments and suggestions were so uplifting to me, not because they are faster than me, but because I could tell they meant and believed what they were saying. Ending the run left me with many hopes and dreams. Hopes of being as fast as them one day, but greater dreams of becoming such a great motivator and friend as well!
Moral of the story. You don't have to be smarter, or faster, or "cooler" is the stereotypical sense of the world to motivate or help someone. You just have to mean what you say and say what you mean. I hope everyone can work on helping others reach their goals, because I will be trying to do the same!
-Ricky
No comments:
Post a Comment